Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Kreeger Academy - Eiffel Tower

Gemma is helping me out with my EPIC Academy Quests this summer... 

My daughter is with me today at school and I am pretty much caught up on everything I need to do to finish up this school year.  I decided to get on Epic and complete this quest series that I started a while ago.  My daughter loves Paris, and my brother (her Uncle) is there right now visiting.  Last night, he and his fiance were able to go to the Eiffel Tower.  She asks me tons of questions about it, and so I thought this would be a good opportunity for her to learn all about it.  
First, I had her read a short book about the Eiffel Tower (she just finished up Kindergarten)  Then, I gave her some classroom supplies (straws, glue, scissors) and told her she could decorate the Eiffel Tower anyway she would like.  She decided to create a rainbow pattern.  Then we watched a short video about the Eiffel Tower (for kids)  and then I asked her to give her picture a title and write 2 facts she remembered either from the book or video.  The last thing we did was use Google Earth to pull up the coordinates for the Eiffel Tower.  I let her use the chromebook to type "Eiffel Tower."  She was delighted to see the computer zoom in to the place we were just learning about.  She figured out on her own how to change it to the street view and I showed her how to take a screenshot.  She was so excited about all of this and wanted me to take pictures to send to her Uncle.  
I was so proud to see how easy something like this was to do even with a Kindergartener and I can't wait to show the K-2 teachers how to use Google Earth.  I think this tool can be used with any grade level.  

See pics below ..... IMG_5890.jpgIMG_5893.jpg

IMG_5898.jpgimage (2).png

No comments:

Post a Comment