Monday, February 12, 2018

Olympics 2018

I have always loved watching the Olympics, both summer and winter and have always tried to incorporate the Olympics into my classroom during the Winter Olympics.  I thought everyone would be really excited, but honestly this group I have this year doesn't seem to impressed.  Most of them told me that they have not watched any of the Olympics and some even told me they didn't even realize they were on right now.  Why is this I wonder?  Could it be that the kids are more into their electronics?  Could it be that many households only using streaming devices such as Roku or the Amazon firestick to watch TV?  I'm not sure, but I will make it my mission over the next two weeks to get these kids pumped up about the Olympics!!!!  

Reading: So today, we started with a BrainPop video  and then we read a Winter Games- Close Reading Passage from TeachersPayTeachers.  This resource is awesome because it exposes the students to nonfiction reading and it can be used digitally with Google Classroom.  


Math: Another cool resource I found is 2018 Winter Olympics by the Numbers.  Each image in the Olympic slide show is accompanied with a numerical fact. Teachers, this is where you can get creative.  You can have students of every grade level work with these numbers based on your standards.  I plan to have my students write the numbers in expanded form using multiplication in my lesson.  

Science:  Ever wonder the science behind some of your favorite Olympic Events?  NBC Learn has teamed up with the National Science Foundation to produce a 16-part video series that explores the science behind individual Olympic Events.  I can't wait to share some of these with my students!  The curling one is my favorite!  Click here to check them all out!  

The video below shows my students doing the Kagan Structure - Quiz Quiz Trade.  During Flex Groups I had them read a passage about the host city, Pyeongchang and then I used some common core question stem cards. Of course I played the Olympic Fanfare and Theme while they mixed around the room finding their next partner.  





No comments:

Post a Comment